Apple Music created a revolutionary new process - in cooperation with major and independent labels - whereby it can properly identify and directly pay the rights holders within a DJ Mix.
· Building upon incredible Shazam technology, Apple developed a tool that allows Apple Music to properly identify and compensate all of the individual creators involved in making a particular DJ Mix - including any artists behind the music in the mix. Now DJ Mixes actually have long term monetary value for all creators involved.
· Apple Music works closely with the DJs, and the suppliers of the DJ Mixes including festivals, clubs, promoters, curators and independent labels to ensure that they are compensated fairly.
On the continent of Africa streams of DJ Mixes are up an incredible 504% YoY on Apple Music.
· In Nigeria, growth of DJ Mixes during 2022 has climbed to over +3000% YoY making it one of the Top 10 countries for DJ Mixes in the world. Nigeria’s “Party in the Jungle” brand is a Top 3 DJ Mix supplier worldwide.
· South Africa continues be a Top 10 market for DJ Mixes and streams have grown +150% YoY.
Apple Music aims to meet the moment by bringing electronic music’s past, present and future together in carefully curated spaces that, for the first time anywhere, pays its creators fairly.
· Africa stands out as one of the largest consumers and producers of original electronic music, with African artists like Black Coffee, Kabza de Small, Uncle Waffles, Zakes Bantwini and Coco Em holding their own alongside global pop powerhouses Beyonce and Drake who are reigniting house music’s mainstream legacy.
· Across Africa, Apple Music is home to one of the most robust and dynamic selections of independently produced DJ Mixes from the likes of Nigeria, South Africa, Kenya, Uganda and Ghana.
· Get acquainted with the pioneers of a soundscape that began with the beat of the African drum.
o Relive Soul Candi’s golden days and revel in its return
o Delve into evergreen beats with Cuppy, Crowd Kontroller and DJ Consequence with Party in The Jungle
· These collections and more can be found on their relevant category pages on-platform, and are all prominently featured on Apple Music’s Isgubhu - the service’s unique destination for African Dance and Electronic music.
"If you have observed the evolution of African Music, you wouldn’t deny that DJs have been a necessary link between a track and its intended audience, through nightlife, radio and DJ mix CDs sold in traffic, especially unique to Nigeria in the early 2000s. Within the last year, DJ mixes on Apple Music hasn’t only revived the DJs relevance, but has also created a new and substantial revenue stream for DJs, and for the audience - a nostalgic, new and exciting way to enjoy music. In my opinion, this program is genius.” - David Evans-Uhegbu, Party In The Jungle
"What started out as a modest record store in the prime of vinyl music, Soul Candi as a brand evolved into a key figure in South African and African House Music culture. Highly renowned for our critically acclaimed compilations, Soul Candi Records delivered some of the most sought after DJ mixes in South Africa. With a global shift from physical to digital music consumption, it no longer made it possible to bring these to our fans on some of their favourite streaming platforms, but that is no longer the case. Soul Candi is proud to announce that many of our classic compilations will be available to stream in their entirety on Apple Music. Soul Candi Sessions, Stereo Candi, Music Box, House for Lovers to name but a few. Relive the nostalgia thanks to Apple Music DJ mixes.” - Adrien Conradie, Soul Candi
“Our mix curator page is dedicated to championing the most exciting and exceptional DJ mixes across Africa. We are focused on promoting the most distinct African DJs in ways that make them engage with one another's work, further building a musical audience influenced by the quality of mixes performed by these DJs who can virtually bring any mood to life. Our journey to supplying DJ Mixes to Apple Music started first as an idea to showcase the best of Africa's talent through meticulously curated DJ Mixes and to create more opportunities for African artists through these mixes with the mind of building their audience on Apple Music. With a digital platform like Apple Music, more African DJs are being allowed to showcase their creative potential. More than ever before, DJ Mixes have become an engaging option for music lovers as they offer a seamless listening experience without the need to click to the next song when listening.” – Bugwu Aneto-Okeke, Spin With Engage